Wednesday, September 5, 2012

#TTOT Round-Up: Travel Confessions

Every Tuesday, it's Travel Talk on Twitter! Each week is a fun, new topic. Join either of the two sessions at 9:30am GMT and 9:30pm GMT to get in on all the fun travel talk!

Just follow the #TTOT hashtag! 

Here's the round-up of this week's #TTOT on "Travel Confessions!"

Q1 via : Tell us your biggest cultural faux-pas! 
  • @Miss_Starling: Telling a Spanish man I was horny rather than hot (temperature) Whoops
  • @hyperren: It may not seem like a big deal, but I always stress about how many air kisses it takes to greet which nationality
  • @MashOnEarth: Waved at my friend to come closer with palm up in Thailand. Apparently, it's the way to call a dog. For people - palm down 
  • @DigitalDiscussn: Car breaking down and asked blokes in pub if they could 'jump me'. They fell off their stools
  • @foodieintl: Eating bread with pasta in Italy. I learned my lesson 
  • @GreenGlobalTrvl: Holding the door for my lady in KwaZulu Natal, where men walk, eat, and drink first
  • @KyleGoesGlobal: In Spanish in Mexico, I tried to order a "hot dog" by describing it as a "dog that is hot" - I literally asked for a "horny dog"  
  • @SandiMcKenna: I am sure I have probably 'LOUD talked' when speaking to someone who didn't understand English thinking it would help 
  • @Ggnitaly84: Having a cappuccino after noon in Italy, a big no no in the Bel Paese
  • @Tactile Travel: Thinking I said grapes when I really said something anatomically obscene in Arabic

Q2 via : What's the most touristy thing you've ever done -- that you loved?
  • : I L-O-V-E double decker tour buses and I'm not ashamed to admit it
  • : Most touristy thing I've done & loved was climb to the top of Eiffel Tower at night 
  • : I cried watching the fountains at Bellagio. True story 
  • : Singing Sound of Music songs in Salzburg and poses in Mirabell Gardens 
  • : I bought (and still keep buying) fridge magnets from places I visit 
  • : Blocking narrow paths whilst taking photos - very annoying for busy locals speed-walking to work! 
  • : Getting on a camel in Giza solely for the photo opp. Who doesn't love a cliché Egypt photo? 
  • : Wearing Mickey ears at Disneyland
  • : Taking a photos holding up the leaning tower of Pisa. I'm sure everyone has one of those photos 

Q3 via : What's the worst thing you ever said while trying to speak a foreign language?
  • : I would like to eat vagina. (cous cous or cuscus in Farsi is vagina) true story
  • : I told a Chinese guy I wanted to see his beauty (piao liang) while I meant his ticket (feiji piao) 
  • : I tried to ask for a pregnancy test in a pharmacy in Spain but asked for a business test
  • : Someone I've met wanted to order "5 cold beers" in Cambodia, but said: "5 old women". He hit the wrong tones
  • : Requested a hard-on instead of a bread roll at the bakery in Brazil
  • : In Taiwan recently I said "shee shee" instead of "sher sher" which is "piss piss" instead of thanks 
  • : When I was working in the States, I would say I loved Hummers the car but not realize that meant an act on a male 
  • : I said "Get yourself hot" instead of "Shut yourself up" in Spanish to soldiers who were pestering me
  • : Chin Chin! what means "cheers" in some languages, turns out it means penis in Japanese 

I do NOT recommend that you eat balut when you visit the Philippines!
 
Q4 via What kind of food you have tried during your travels that you won't recommend trying? 
  • : Durian! Seriously, there's a reason why this fruit is banned from most public places
  • : Oh god! The smell of Stinky Tofu just does my head in 
  • : Kokoretsi - kind of spit roast entrail thing you eat in Greece at Easter 
  • : Definitely NOT a fan of eating bugs! I don't CARE if they're protein
  • : Anything yak butter derived ..... shuddering just thinking about it 
  • : Baby eels. After I ordered them (feeling adventurous in Spain) I felt horrible about all the little guys.
  • : Rat kebab in Cebu or chickens feet
  • : Oysters. Unless you like the feeling of having snot in your mouth. I judge no one
  • : Vegemite. If this can even be called food

Q5 via : Have you hated a destination that everyone else loves? Where and why?
  • : Well, not everyone loved, but China. I couldn't handle the Asian-Asian racism
  • : Paris. Its just under whelming. It's all very cliched and try talking to some locals if they even speak to you 
  • : Koh Tao in Thailand overcrowded, too Western and generally couldn't wait to leave 
  • : Athens. It was dirty, disheveled and disappointing all-around. Maybe my expectations were too high for the historic hotspot 
  • : Las Vegas. Mostly because of the heat and the expense. Oh and what stays in Vegas never actually stays there 
  • : Tokyo. Concrete jungle, overcrowded, expensive. A group of teens thought we were Americans and told us to 'fluck off' out of Japan 
  • : Venice. Going at peak time was the worst thing. So crowded and extremely expensive. It's a shame when beauty becomes spoiled 
  • : Does anyone actually like Los Angeles?

And there you have it, "Travel Confessions!"  

Next week's #TTOT topic is: "Road Trip Travels!" Submit your questions HERE!

See you Tuesday at 9:30am and 9:30pm GMT for the next #TTOT!

As always, a HUGE travel community thank you to our #TTOT hosts and organizers: traveldudes, , , , , , and !

Have YOU got anything to add to the "Travel Confessions" discussion? 

© Connie Hum 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...