Monday, February 15, 2010

Salaam Bombay!

So here I am in Mumbai (previously known as Bombay), India, a place that I have wanted to go to ever since I was a little girl and saw a Bollywood movie playing at a childhood friend's house. What kind of magical and crazy place created such colorful and exuberant things? Oh, India...

Yet, now that I find myself here after all these years of anticipation, I don't know how I feel about actually being here. Granted, when I first arrived, I was on the recovering end of rubella and basically took a few days to rest and mend but I can't seem to find my usual enthusiasm and curiosity for exploring a new place. Maybe because every single time I've ventured out into the city, I've literally seen people defecating and urinating in the streets (I kid you not). This makes Mumbai a little scary to me, not to mention grossly unappealing. And this is coming from me. ME! The girl who always talk potty.

The truth of the matter of why I haven't been so excited about Mumbai has to do with the fact that I plain out miss Burma. Even after just a few days, I already miss that messed up country and hanging out with my cousins. In fact, on my way to the airport in Yangon on the day I left, I remember thinking about how I was going to miss it. I just didn't realize that it was going to be so soon!

I'm really looking forward to going back to Burma before returning to the States next year. But first, I need to get my head back into the traveling mode and start experiencing India! Wish me luck!

© Connie Hum 2010

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you're getting over your travel bug. Most people settle down somewhere eventually. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, something to look forward to in a month, haha! Hang in there girl. I am certain that you'll find another city in India in which you'll want to explore. :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...