Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Good, The Bad & The Yellow Sari

THE GOOD: I've left Mumbai with my traveling head back in its proper place and I couldn't be happier! Another good piece of news: I've been invited to an Indian wedding! While visiting the Ellora caves, I met Nazir, who is getting married on March 23. I told him how I had always wanted to go to an Indian wedding so he invited me! HOORAY!

THE BAD: Logistically speaking, attending the wedding is going to be difficult for me as I should be in Rajastan at that time, preparing to leave for Nepal. Attending the wedding is going to require back-tracking to a place I've already been to and shorten my time in Rajastan, a place I've yet to discover. What to do?

THE YELLOW SARI: While I was still trying to make up my mind about attending the wedding, I met a lovely family in Nasik who sort of just took me into their home, feeding and piling me with inquisitive questions. I asked about Indian wedding etiquette and I expressed how much I loved saris and how I'd love to wear one to the wedding, provided I did in fact end up going. The next morning, when I went over to say goodbye to the women, they brought out a stack of new saris and told me to pick one. They were giving me a sari as a gift! I was so completely touched and asked them to choose the color for me. They chose a gorgeous, yellow sequined sari for me to wear to the wedding and showed me how to wear it. The women also had me try on one of their wedding sari's, which was a beautifully beaded dress. It was quite spectacular and the ladies were thrilled to see me in it.










How incredibly generous and nice of these people! I wish I had had more time to spend with them but I had to leave for my meditation retreat. They have invited me back to their home so I really hope I get to see them again.

And I guess this means I'M GOING TO THE WEDDING! How can I not go now that they've given me a sari to wear? Pictures to come of course!

© Connie Hum 2010

4 comments:

  1. I remember when I was at Shai's wedding 2 years ago in Bombay and Murud, what a great week-long experience, definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyond, beyond amazing!!! You've made me even MORE excited about my upcoming trip to India. That sari looks GORGEOUS on you. Can't wait to hear about the wedding. That's on my to-do list as well, haha. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you have to go to the wedding. My friend Rashi said her party went on for 3 days. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. the more I read up on your blog, the more I realise I will simply HAVE to visit India some day... :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...