Sunday, August 15, 2010

Montage Monday: Peru

A new feature on Connvoyage, a 3 photo montage highlighting the best memories from my past travels! Enjoy!


Markets are the beating heart and living pulse of a country. There's no better way to see a new country's way of life, culture and people than at a local market. The sights, sounds, smells, food and bustle of the people inside a local market reveal a slice of normal life, something tourists will never see at famous landmarks or from inside a hotel room. At this local market in Cuzco, a young boy stands watch over a plate of chicken feet, advertising the colorful alpaca hats behind him.


Islas Ballestas is often referred to as the "Poor Man's Galapagos," but this serves as grave injustice to these islands. The teeming life and diversity on Islas Ballestas deserves a name for itself. The large number of guanay guano birds, blue-footed boobies, sea lions and penguins, to name a few of the species of life that inhabit Islas Ballestas, deserves to be brought out from the shadow of the Galapagos. The dramatic rock formations that make up the small islands form a perfect backdrop for nature-watching. For the lucky few (myself included), dolphin sightings are not uncommon in Islas Ballestas.


The ruins of Macchu Picchu peeking through the early morning mist evoked in me a feeling of awe, discovery and beauty. Exploring Macchu Picchu after a day of hiking to the top of neighboring mountain, Putukusi was reward enough for a sore-legged traveler. My day wandering the grounds of Macchu Picchu will forever remain one of my favorite travel memories of all time.

© Connie Hum 2010

1 comment:

  1. All 3 of these are gorgeous photos! I totally agree about markets. I always make sure I visit a market when I'm in a new country. The sights, sounds, smells...oh my!!! :)

    And MP, there are just no words. I hope I can return one day and do the hike.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...