Here's the round-up of this week's #TTOT:
Q1 via Aykate: What is your favorite island and why?
- TravelsceneUSA: Australia. Not many islands can also boast to being a continent. Impressive
- simoncrerar: Favorite little island is Wilson on the Great Barrier Reef, stunning coral cay with only six luxury tents, amazing snorkelling
- lynnerosie: Top of the bucket list for islands, has to be Samoa ~ sheer unspoilt beauty and the people are sooo lovely
- cabanbury: Camiguin, Philippines. My second home & my escape. White sand, blue water & palm trees
- MalloryOnTravel: Iceland because it is an awesome geologically active island with Volcanoes, geysirs, Northern Lights, whales and viking
|Iceland is definitely one of MY favorite islands, too!|
Q2 via ivanhenares: Which island has the best beaches?
- TheTravelRoom: Sipadan, off Borneo, gets our vote
- Jobtrekker: Turks and Caicos Islands
- chippy2u: Australia has some of THE most amazing beaches - mind u, we have a LOT to choose from!!
- our_oyster: Mauritus! it has got such beautiful long beaches! and the sea was really warm
- HeadRedVenture: Loved Zanzibar's beach because it was so unique - Islamic architecture views, wooden boats on the water, great sunsets
- IavraVillaAssoc: Sri Lanka has fantastic beaches... Bentota, Hikkaduwa, Galle, Trincomalee.... who can resist exotic names like that?
Q3 via robertkcole: What is your favorite island food? (Not available at home)
- hiptraveler: Balinese food
- katyabroad: I love the Carribbean flavours of fried plantain and tropical curries
- SuuperG: My very UNsophisticated answer is Sticky Rice from Hawaii...I have NOT found anyone who can make it so tasty and sticky here
- MiddleSeatView: I love eating fresh seafood - adjust your meal based on what came off the boat that morning
- wanderingzito: Does a Pina Colada in a hammock count as a favorite island food?
- travel_edits: The delicious fig and orange jam from Korcula, Croatia, mmmm
Q4 via AnilaBabla: What's your favorite island-related film or book?
- MelissaColo: Castaway - "WILSON!"DisarmDoors: Book: The Beach. Film: Blue Lagoon
- TravelsceneUSA: Did anyone mention Lord of the Rings yet? Did wonders for NZ tourism
- joapet: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Of course! Pirates ahoy!
- jeanwethmar1: Eat Pray Love... India, Italy & Bali.. what a combo
- AuthenticCoast: Fave island book. Alistair MacLeod, "No Great Mischief" set in Cape Breton Island
Q5 via Boz23: Any exciting island adventure(s) to share?
- Inga_Ros: Rescuing puffin babies at night time at the Westman Islands in Iceland and releasing them later out to shore
- Xplore724: Sailing around the Caribbean for years was an epic decade long dadventure!
- StayAdventurous: Sailing the Greek Islands. The trip changed my life... for the better
- ACarlton: Swimming with sea lions in the Galapagos Islands. They literally were running into you, so much fun
- redhunttravel: Watching a volcano explode on Tanna Island, Vanuatu = pretty exciting
- worldswaiting: Swimming with Whale sharks & a naughty Tiger shark in Australia
- traveldudes: I swam with wild crocodiles in Australia. Adventure enough? Yeah!
And there you have it, "Islands"!
Next week's #TTOT topic is: "New 7 Wonders" submitted by keenecomms. Submit your questions HERE! And don't forget to tune follow the #TTOT every Tuesday at 9:30am and 9:30pm GMT!
As always, a HUGE travel community thank you to our #TTOT hosts and organizers: traveldudes, roniweiss, toddwassel, traveldesigned, insidetravellab, WildJunket, tbloggersunite and mobilelawyer!
Have YOU got anything to add to the Islands travel discussion?
© Connie Hum 2011