Tuesday, August 9, 2011

#TTOT Round-Up: Travel Websites

Every Tuesday it's Travel Talk on Twitter! Follow the #TTOT hashtag to see what all the commotion and Tweets are about! There are two sessions to join, one at 9:30am GMT and the other at 9:30pm GMT.

Here's the round-up of this week's #TTOT: 

Q1 via : What travel site do you rely on the most? 
  • Twitter travel community is probably best source of info & tips out there
  • : I do use hostelworld on a pretty regular basis when traveling! Their iPhone app makes it way too easy!
  • : Tripadvisor.com. Twitter doesn't help me that much
  • : I actually rely on guidebooks more than websites. I'm old school
  • Wikitravel. Not every article is up to snuff, but major info and the phrasebooks are good
  • : As a travel blogger, word of mouth - when I can't grab one, I quiz a few on twitter
  • : Kayak iphone app for flights. I search it all the time, even when I'm not planning a trip

Q2 via : What's the most frustrating thing you find on travel websites?
  • : HIDDEN CHARGES!!
  • : More advertisements than content
  • Most annoying are prices that don't include fees and taxes, and deals that wind up not being available when you click on them
  • Lack of personal input and bland content. Spruce it up people! I'm put off by bad layouts
  • : It makes my really frustrated when I press back in the booking process - and everything disappears

Q3 via : What dream feature would you like to see on your fave travel website?
  • : Legit "You just won free flights for life" banner
  • Current condition at the destination from live webcam would be awesome
  • : Something that could convey all five senses of a particular destination
  • I don't want to see anything in particular just good old honesty is nice
  • : BOGOS for travel. Woot! Woot! 'Buy one plane ticket, get one free!"
  • : A LOT more video. Photography is great, blog posts are wonderful, but video is definitely lacking

Q4 via : What sets your favourite travel blog apart from others? 
  • : Locals who spill secrets to travellers
  • : Good writing, a personal story and a sense of humor
  • : Personal stories, not just lists
  • : True and honest personal experiences of his/her travels.. and not afraid of not being "politically correct"
  • : Personally written stories combined with useful info and always great photography
  • : Sense of humor, personality, lots of relevant detail (I hate short posts that leave me hanging)
  • : My favorite blogs don't try to sell me anything, I enjoy their perspective and voice

Q5 via : Which travel blogger would you most like to travel with?
  • : I imagine if I travel with that he'll have a tip for every place we go, and beer all the time
  • : I wouldn't want to travel with another travel blogger. They might contradict my stories. Mostly because I lie. 
  • AndiPerullo - how much fun does this girl look like she has on her travels?!!
  • : I'd choose a blogger who was a great photographer so trip would be well documented & I'd pick up tips
  • : Would also be nice to be shown around a country by a blogger that lives there
  • : I'd want to travel with any blogger that can change my perspective on life and on the world!

And there you have it, "Travel Websites"!

Next week's #TTOT topic is: "World Heritage Sites" submitted by KellyDeanOttawa. Submit your questions HERE! And don't forget to tune follow the #TTOT every Tuesday at 9:30am and 9:30pm GMT!

As always, a HUGE travel community thank you to our #TTOT hosts and organizers: traveldudes, , , , , , and !

Have YOU got anything to add to the "Travel Websites" discussion? 

© Connie Hum 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...