Friday, November 25, 2011

A New Standard With Hong Kong's Standard Vintage

My love for vintage fashion was finally quenched last month in Hong Kong when Standard Vintage's curator, Andy Chow, invited me to his studio for a private fitting. I was literally in heaven!




I spent the afternoon trying on some super cute Japanese vintage dresses Andy hand-picks for Standard Vintage's online boutique. Andy was great about understanding my love of color and helped me pick out some amazing pieces to try on. Personal styling tips and honest opinions were included!




What made Standard Vintage different from all my previous vintage shopping experiences was that Andy really knows his stuff. Andy can basically give you the history of almost any Standard Vintage item and he clearly loves each piece. I felt like I was handling precious heirlooms, and I guess in a way, I was. Instead of looking at heirlooms to store behind glass, I was looking at heirlooms to wear and look pretty in.




I was afraid the vintage Japanese pieces wouldn't fit since I'm not as petite as most Japanese women are, but I didn't have any trouble getting into most items. In fact, I ended up taking home FIVE vintage dresses that afternoon, including this gorgeous green vintage Valentino dress I fell in love with at first sight! I wore it the following week to Andy's birthday dinner. Isn't it amazing?


Photo courtesy of Harold Li

For those of you lucky enough to live in Hong Kong, Andy's taking his Standard Vintage pieces over to General Store the weekend of December 2 - 3 for Tea for Two. I'm pretty upset that I'll have to miss what will easily be Hong Kong's biggest antique and vintage event of the year (though I can't complain; I'll be in New York City). My loss can be your gain so don't miss out if you're in town!

Fret not, vintage lovers living OUTSIDE of Hong Kong, Standard Vintage has an online shop you can order from.

Keep up with any new findings from Andy, "Like" Standard Vintage on Facebook and follow Andy on Twitter.

I personally can't wait to see what other items Andy will find for Standard Vintage, and knowing Andy's high standard for vintage clothing, I already know they're going to be beautiful!

© Connie Hum 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...