Here's the round-up of this week's #TTOT on "Time Zones!"
Q1 via waphle: What are your secrets for fighting jetlag?
- flyingwithfish: Suck it up and keep moving, well that, and cans of Coke
- traveldaveuk: I always put my clock forward to local time once I've stepped on the plane
- Tony_Vino: Going east: sleep v little night b4 (4 hrs or less), have red wine w/ meal, sleep till morning food service & then I am good to go
- jeanettekramer: Melatonin & sleep when it's dark, get up when it's light. No napping in between!
- mygo2it: Travel so often that time differences don't phase you anymore
- SuuperG: I rarely experience it...because my travel adrenaline kicks in and I tap into it
- robbin_g: I don't drink alcohol on the plane anymore. Water, water, water
- landlopers: Natural light also helps mitigate effects of jet lag
- farebuzz: Always try to stay awake as late as possible. Generally feel rested the next day once I've finally slept
Q2 via runawayjuno: When & where were your worst time zone & jet lag experiences?
- ehalvey: BNA-HOU-SEA-Vancouver to turn around 36 hours later
- projectoneworld: London>Delhi>London>LA in a week My body didn't know what to do, it just stayed awake
- McMedia: Tampa, FL to Naples, Italy .. The champagne & limoncello didn't help my cause
- nygal33: Flying from NY-LA-SYD-Cairns without any long layovers
- annleewai: Woke from a dead sleep on an empty overnight train out of Rome to a standing room only commuter train. Everyone was staring
- MikeDJeremy: Sydney to Amman: No sleep and then straight to a wedding and served Mensaf- a sheep's head with its eyes
BespokeTravels: NY to London to Dubai to Cape Town & back. I'm still sleeping that one off
- CaptainandClark: Korea to China. China to Dubai. Dubai to Bahrain. We saw every sunrise on our trip haha
- LisaBrandush: Missed the cruise boat and ended up getting stranded somewhere in the bahamas
plinthpics: Once woke up in Norway hotel at 2 o'clock, panicking thinking I overslept. It was 2am & 'midnight sun' was up
- GuestHouseIntl: Never missed anything but my friend called me at 4am to tell me she was engaged...lives in japan and forgot what time it was here!
- TravelatedRease: I slept through the hostel checkout time because I didnt know it was daylight savings. It happens in Uruguay but not Argentina
- FoodnFlowers: Not with travel but with daylight savings - frequently turn up late forgetting to change clock. My trademark
- LAbackpackrChik: I'm kind of a dumb ass i never change my time to the correct time zone...i like having it on home time LA
- kymri: My dogs try to convince me that I'm jetlagged when the clocks get turned back and they have another hour to wait for dinner
Q4 via Travel4Press: Should we scrap daylight savings? Why?
- OverYonderlust: I rather like having it light outside super late with daylight savings and the summer time
- AngelinaFoster: I don't think it's a hassle and love the summer evenings... keeps!
worldtravelsite: Na, it's kinda fun, figuring out timezones, makes me feel more like i'm somewhere else
- hjortur: Absolutely. It's pointless and confusing. Move your working hours if you like, but not the clock
- RickGriffin: We live in the age of internet and electricity - time zones are obsolete
- kathegan: Gotta love that day in fall when you normally have to leave the bar, but then you get an extra hour
- kitwhelan: Probably. As fun as it is to time travel, we lose productivity worldwide, and it's confusing for international travel and business
- peglegmeg: But doesn't daylight savings just make us appreciate daylight more?
Q5 via HotelPRGuy: What's your most hilarious time zone confusion situation?
- WalkEatTalkEat: Finding I was meant to be at the airport, when I was on Isla Mujeres a taxi, ferry&another taxi away from airport. But made it
- TravelingEditor: 5 year old daughter 8 TZs away on phone. She didn't believe I was going to bed & she just arrived from school
- iamfrafuga: Spending half of every phone conversation w my mum trying2 explain what time it was where I was & why
- jessjwhitworth: My brothers had a great time getting straight on a flight after a heavy night out - air hostess wasn't impressed with the mooning
- travel_version: Going to bed at weird time in Australia because of jetlag, waking up at 7 and not knowing if it was am/pm so I went back to sleep
- AmbleResorts: Flight from Tokyo left at 7pm on Wed and we landed in Honolulu at 7am on Wed - Got to live that Wed twice
earthXplorer: Waking up, showering, getting ready to go, walking outside, realizing it was 3am
And there you have it, "Time Zones"!
Next week's #TTOT topic is: "How to Keep Travel in Your Life if You are NOT a Professional Nomad!" Submit your questions HERE! And don't forget to follow the #TTOT every Tuesday at 9:30am and 9:30pm GMT to chat about all things travel!
As always, a HUGE travel community thank you to our #TTOT hosts and organizers: traveldudes, roniweiss, toddwassel, traveldesigned, insidetravellab, WildJunket, tbloggersunite and mobilelawyer!
Have YOU got anything to add to the "Time Zones" discussion?
© Connie Hum 2011