Tuesday, May 22, 2012

#TTOT Round-Up: Travel Food

Every Tuesday, it's Travel Talk on Twitter! Join either of the two sessions at 9:30am GMT and 9:30pm GMT to get in on all the fun travel talk! Just follow the #TTOT hashtag!

Here's the round-up of this week's #TTOT on "Travel Food!" 

Q1 via Plan a picnic with 3 foods from 3 different countries.
  • : Jerk Chicken (Jamaica), Cous-Cous (Moroccan seasonings) and spicy salad (Thailand) 
  • : Cuban ham croquettas, Puerto Rican rum, and gringo Coca-Cola
  • : Sushi from Japan, bubbles from France, jamon iberico from Spain
  • : Chips and guacomole from Mexico, cheese and bread from France, and pizza from Italy
  • : A selection of fresh bread from France, curries from Thailand, and beers form Germany
  • : Falafel from Egypt, Zebu steak from Madagascar, gelato from Italy
  • : Greek salad, Spanish tapas and French cheese
  • : Empanadas from Argentina, tamales from Mexico, and ginger beer from Jamaica

Q2 via What's the strangest food you've had while traveling?


: Deep fried tarantula in Cambodia

: Dried fish and fermented shark from Iceland

: The cuy (Guinea Pig) I ate in Peru doing his best impression of Rodin's The Thinker

: Dried river weed with sesame from Laos

  Kokorec, aka sheep intestine

Q3 via What dish have you always wanted to try?
  • : OK, this is going to sound odd, but I want to try brains. Not the presentation in the skull, just some well prepared brain
  • : I would now try a scorpion. But that was only after I've seen other bloggers eating them and liking them 
  • : Real Indian curries
  • : I have always wanted to try alligator tail in Miami 
  • : Dim sum in China, that would be amazing and is on my bucket list 
  • : I've always wanted to try Persian cuisine how it differs with the the rest of Middle East 
  • : Jambalaya in New Orleans would be pretty cool
  • : I want to try this Brazilian churrascaria in Rio again just to make sure I really did like it
  • : Durian. I'm so embarrassed I've never gotten around to it

Q4 via Have you ever visited a place just for its cuisine? Where?
  • : I have been to been to Kerala once, just to eat their local delicacy called Appams
  • : I did once go to Paris for the weekend for Nutella crepes and croissants
  • : Yes, Parma in Italy. Parma ham, Parmesan and several other lesser known foods including great gelato 
  • : I once routed a flight thru San Francisco so I could get dumplings in Chinatown and then got back on the plane
  • : Penang, Malaysia - unbelievable street food
  • : I will say one of the top reasons I visited NYC was to eat at the first pizza place in the USA: Lombardi's Neapolitan Pizza 
  • : I travel locally for special eats all the time. Especially if there are food festivals 
  • : I love food. But I've never visited a destination just because of it. Traveling is for me a holistic experience
  • : Does going to tropical destinations just for the fresh coconuts on the beach count?

Q5 via Is there a food/snack you always pack when you travel?
  • : Instant oatmeal- can always get hot water; fast, filling, easy to pack snack good any time of day 
  • : Oranges/clementines. There's never a time when I can't use some extra citrus. Plus, they're individually wrapped 
  • : Not now, but in mu backpacking days peanut butter was ALWAYS in my pack. Great go to food "just in case"  
  • : Always have chocolate in bag: great to share, great to cheer one up, perfect for a quick snack 
  • : Not really, but I LOVE wasabi peanuts, so if I can find them, I WILL pack them
  • : Kicap Cap Kipas Udang (Manis) That's right, sweet soy sauce 
  • : No question, Almonds. Healthiest, tastiest most filling snack there is 
  • : Toblerone original nougat chocolate is my travel treat - ever since traveling as a kid with my mom on international flights 
  • My guilty pleasure, buying yogurt-covered pretzels at airport, where available

And there you have it, "Travel Food!"  

Next week's #TTOT topic is: "Honeymoon Travel!" Submit your questions HERE!

See you next Tuesday 9:30am and 9:30pm GMT for the next #TTOT!

As always, a HUGE travel community thank you to our #TTOT hosts and organizers: traveldudes, , , , , , and !

Have YOU got anything to add to the "Travel Food" discussion? 

© Connie Hum 2012

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, strange foods indeed! The weirdest thing I've eaten is grilled eel in Korea.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...